Chalkboard Cake Stand DIY

So I know that I've been promising a DIY tutorial for months now, and I've finally done it!  In honor of my dear friend Emilie's blog's very first birthday, we decided to do a little double teaming post to celebrate.  If you've never checked it out before, Emilie blogs about all things food and makes some of the yummiest things I've ever put in my mouth.  I'm serious. Do yourself a favor and head on over to Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, and Thyme, (best name ever?!) and check it out!  Happy 1st Birthday Emilie! 
To celebrate this momentous occasion Emilie will be making a lemon raspberry cake with lemon buttercream frosting.  (Sounds like the best thing ever right?  I love that she's my neighbor, more cake for me!!!)  Anyhoo, I decided to contribute with a little cake stand DIY.  It was almost embarrassingly easy, (which really is the best kind of afternoon project, right?) and creates such a pretty little addition to the table.  

What you're going to need...
Emilie and I visited our local goodwill for the plate and candlestick holder, which I got for a whopping $1.90!  I wanted to choose a plate with a wider 'brim' so that it would be easier to write on, but really any plate will do!  Also make sure that your chalkboard paint will adhere to glass, (most do,) and same goes for the epoxy.  

Step 1: Wash and dry the plate and candlestick thoroughly. 
Step 2: Spread the epoxy on the BASE of the candlestick holder, (I chose the base b/c it provides a larger surface area to stick to and a sturdier base for the stand.)  I'm notorious for gluing my fingers together during this step so be careful!

Step 3: Step 3: Center the candlestick holder on the plate, (No one wants a wobbly cake stand!) and place some heavy books on top to seal.  Let dry for 2-3 hours.

Step 4: not pictured: Fun with spray paint.  As I didn't want to asphyxiate everyone in the house I did my spray painting outside with terrible lighting. i.e. not great pictures. Just be sure to spray from about a foot away and use short strokes off the object your painting to avoid running.  My plate ended up taking 3 or four coats for a really good finish. 
Step 5:In order to avoid indention on your paint be sure to slate all writing surfaces with a thin layer of chalk and wipe off before first use.  When using on glass I've learned that you should be sure that your chalk's edges aren't sharp as it can scratch off some of the paint, but otherwise I've not had this problem.  I also would use a piece of waxed paper under your food as I'm not sure the rules of chalkboard paint and food mixing...

Voila! A lovely little at home cake stand to pretty up any party!
As well as making a cake...Emilie is doing a cookbook giveaway to celebrate!  The cookbook is called Flour and is from a local bakery here in Boston.  You should definitely go to her blog and enter to win!  You won't regret it!

1 comment:

  1. This is such a great idea! It would work great when serving many different dishes as You could label them all.

    Thanks for the inspiration!

    Sarah @ www.creatingamazing.com

    ReplyDelete